Search for Common Ground
Deadline of this Job:
Thursday, May 04 2023
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam, East Africa
Date Posted:Thursday, May 04 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Driver’s role is to support the driving and security assessment needs of Search Tanzania (Mtwara & Dar Es Salaam) office. This position requires regular travel to project locations to support the implementation of program activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Operate vehicles and equipment safely and responsibly, and obey Tanzania traffic laws;
• Ensure that all passengers in the vehicle use seat belts, and that no people or animals are transported in the loading area where there are no seats or seatbelts;
• Maintain the office vehicle log book and submit it on a weekly basis to Administration Officer.
• Oversee fuel and vehicle maintenance needs and submit related receipts to Administration Officer.
• Deliver and collect relevant items as per the needs of the project team, while ensuring all accurate documentation on the content of the items, who requested the transport of the items, who received the items, and obtaining appropriate signatures, using a dispatch book or other documentation of receipt;
• Keep the office vehicle free from damage, in best possible condition, as well as clean both inside and outside. The field driver must ensure that the vehicle is in proper and safe condition prior to use, and report any damage or mechanical malfunctions in due time prior to use.
• Manage the logistics of various items while in transport, including loading and unloading, ensuring that the cargo is properly secured to avoid damage.
• Maintain an excellent driving record, meaning that a valid Tanzania license must be presented at the time of employment, and no more than two violations can exist on an employee’s driving record at any given time. Furthermore, the driver must always drive at a reduced speed through villages and residential areas, and avoid any driving behavior which might be associated negatively with SFCG;
• Show respect and professionalism when entering the office, homes, and properties of SFCG personnel without supervision;
• Perform tasks without direct supervision that may require physical labor, and possibly the use of hand tools, such as the change of tires on the office vehicle when necessary, including in inclement weather conditions;
• Conduct regular assessments of security incidents in the project target areas, and update the
• Director on a weekly basis or more, to ensure that the transport of project staff and/or partners to project locations presents the least risks as possible.
• Assist the Swahili Coast Director in ensuring that security related assets and supplies are in- place, inventoried, functional and in good state
• Form 4 certificate
• At least three (3) years of relevant experience in driving.
• Good communication skill in English & Swahili.
• A valid Tanzania Driving License at least C class driving license.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Previous experience working with an INGO is considered an asset.
• Previous experience on a job that requires security analysis is an asset. Dynamic, motivated and flexible with cultural sensitivity.
• Willingness to travel to remote areas.
• Remain alert and responsive to any child safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills which will enable you to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child safeguarding policy and procedures, and conduct yourself in a manner consistent with the
• Child Safeguarding Policy.
• Working with People: The ability to respect the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy, listens, supports; consults others and shares information and expertise, builds team spirit and adapts to the team.
• Flexibility: The ability to adapt to changing circumstances and priorities, to tolerate ambiguity, to adapt personal style to different people and situations.
• Drive for Results and Efficiency: The ability to set quality standards, monitor and maintain quality of work, and set goals to achieve continuous improvement.
• Relationship Management: The ability to manage interactions, to provide service and to support the organization while building an effective internal and external network.
• Consultation (for managers and up): The ability to provide guidance to organizational stakeholders while applying creative problem-solving to address business needs.
• Leadership and Navigation: The ability to manage and contribute to initiatives and processes within the organization while making progress toward change and continuous improvement.
• Communication: The ability to effectively exchange information with others, to effectively deliver critical information, to gather information and communicate with others.
• Global and Cultural Effectiveness: The ability to value and consider the perspectives and backgrounds of all parties and be able to work cross-culturally.
• Ethical Practice: The ability to integrate Search vision, mission and core values, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational and business practices.
• Developing others (for people manager): The ability to provide support to enhance performance and professional growth
• As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 48
Level of Education: High School
Job application procedure