Senior Technical Officer, Child Health and Nutrition
Deadline of this Job:
28 March 2023
Within Tanzania , Mwanza , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, March 10, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Senior Technical Officer will be responsible for overseeing implementation in all districts within the region. S/he will work closely with R/CHMTs under the guidance of the Technical Advisors for Child Health & Nutrition and Immunization to set regional and district priorities. She/he will also work with cluster and regional leads and Technical Advisors (Child Health, Nutrition and Immunization) to tailor assistance based on regional and district needs. The person selected for this position will actively participate in regional RMNCAH policy and strategy discussions including planning and progress reviews with other stakeholders, as appropriate. The Sr TO CH& Nutrition will also play an important role at the regional and district level, providing technical assistance to strengthen and scale up child health services including IMCI, ETAT, Immunization (REC & PIRI), and Nutrition services such as Growth monitoring, MYICAN, IMAM services. S/he will ensure that Jhpiego’s programs implement national guidelines and standards in the provision of quality Child health, immunization & nutrition services. She/he will support the regional team in the development of regional quarterly and annual reports on child health, immunization and nutrition.
Job Grade: 9. This position is open to Tanzanians only.
• Provide technical leadership, capacity development, and supervision to R/CHMT and health workers on child health, nutrition, and immunization activities
• Assist in the assessment of clinical training needs of the region and in the design and implementation of appropriate measures to address those needs
• Work with the R/CHMTs to develop, and support a pool of mentors and trainers on IMCI, ETAT, IMAM, MYICAN, and growth monitoring.
• Support R/CHMTs, regional/district trainers and mentors to offer on-the-job training and mentorship to health care workers on IMCI, ETAT, IMAM, MYICAN, and growth monitoring, services based on nationally and/or internally proven approaches
• Support R/CHMTs in conducting periodic intensification of routine immunization (PIRI)
• Work with the M&E team to monitor the monthly performance of child health and nutrition interventions
• Ensure performance and quality improvement approaches in clinical sites as approved by Jhpiego and/or the MOH
• Develop and facilitate the implementation of a quality assurance model at the regional, district and facility level
• Identify and disseminate best practices and new technical strategies and approaches in areas of expertise
• Ensure implementation of evidence-based clinical training materials and standards, supervisory systems and other approaches
• Provide technical oversight and ensure appropriate support and preparation for training activities
• Provide technical support to program staff to create a linkage between Community Health Workers (CHW) and health facility staff in the program areas and create sustainable mechanisms
• Ensure compliance with USAID and Jhpiego operational policies and regulations, including clinical practices
• Perform other duties as directed by the senior staff
• Advanced Degree in Clinical Medicine, and Master in public health
• Six to Seven years of work experience in Child Health and Nutrition programmes.
• Be an excellent classroom and clinical trainer with at least two years’ experience in clinical training on, IMCI, ETAT, IMAM, MYICAN
• Experience working in the private sector/NGOs
• Demonstrated experience designing and implementing capacity-building programs for improving service delivery
• Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity in service delivery programs and technical staff in the areas of Child Health, Nutrition, and performance and quality improvement
• Experience managing quality assurance
• Proven leadership and management skills with the ability to multi-task
• Self -management is necessary (i.e. motivation, dealing with pressure, adaptability).
• Ability to communicate effectively, instilling trust and confidence.
• Be cooperative, competent, hardworking, flexible and dependable.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 72
Level of Education: Associate Degree