Senior Technical Advisor
Deadline of this Job:
28 February 2023
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Senior Technical Advisor
Reports to: Director of Strategy
Location: Preference for Sub-Saharan Africa (must be legally authorized to work in location) *
Travel: Up to 20%
Who we are
D-tree has been pioneering digital health since 2004 and leverages digital technology to create solutions that transform health systems for the better, making people’s care more personalized, more accessible, and more coordinated. We work with governments from ideation to implementation, combining a deep understanding of local contexts with global expertise to build human-centered, government-aligned digital health programs that are designed to scale and integrate into health systems — ultimately leading to sustainable, long term improvements in health outcomes for all. We partner with technology organizations, academia, medical hospitals, and like-minded organizations internationally and locally, private and public.
We are seeking a collaborative and impact-driven Senior Technical Advisor to provide technical oversight and support to select D-tree programs within our growing country portfolios to execute high-quality programs that transform primary health service delivery and to help grow our work.
What you will do
The Senior Technical Advisor is a key member of the Global Support Team who will work closely with country and global leadership to ensure that D-tree implements high quality programs that are aligned with and promote D-tree’s strategic approach and objectives; exceed donor and partner expectations; and ultimately, improve access to high quality healthcare by strengthening health systems through digital technology. The Senior Technical Advisor will provide technical oversight to select programs or projects within D-tree country portfolios—initially primarily in Zanzibar and Zambia—to ensure that programs are on-track to achieve key milestones, while advancing D-tree’s strategic objectives and potential for enhanced health impact. The Senior Technical Advisor will also provide direct support to select country teams to strategically plan and execute project activities and complete high quality deliverables, while building the skills of country team members to more independently lead similar efforts in the future. Finally, the Senior Technical Advisor will contribute to D-tree’s organizational growth through supporting business develop efforts and advancing Country Strategies.
Technical Oversight of Select Country Programs or Projects (30%)
The Senior Technical Advisor will provide technical oversight for select country programs and/or projects within D-tree’s global portfolio. Responsibilities include:
- In collaboration with the Director of Strategy, Director of Partnerships, and Director of Programs, understand partner (governments, donors, and collaborating organizations) interests and priorities and guide project teams to consistently meet the needs of current partners, while making optimal use of D-tree’s expertise and aligning with D-tree’s organizational and country objectives.
- Maintain a strong understanding of all aspects of assigned programs or projects–including expected deliverables, outcomes, and timeline; budget; compliance requirements; staffing; partnerships, and donor expectations–and collaborate with country leadership to monitor these components and make adjustments as needed in consultation with the Director of Programs and Director of Strategy.
- In collaboration with country leadership, keep track of project progress, identify opportunities and challenges, and regularly update the Director of Strategy and Director of Programs, including elevating important or urgent items needing greater organizational attention or review.
- Serve as a programmatic thought-partner to Country Directors, Deputy Directors, and mid- and senior-level staff to promote their success in leading strong country teams that deliver high-quality programs, which align with D-tree’s values, approach, and objectives.
- Guide teams in strategically designing and implementing approaches that embed innovative health programs within government health systems to foster long-term government ownership.
Technical Assistance to Country Programs (40%)
The Senior Technical Advisor will provide technical assistance to select country programs and/or projects within D-tree’s global portfolio, while also building the skills of D-tree team members.
- Support project teams to strategically plan and execute activities through sound project management practices and tools to ensure project delivery is within scope, timeline and budget.
- Provide guidance or technical support to project or country teams when challenges arise and support teams in problem solving to continually improve the quality of programs.
- Guide and directly contribute to projects’ monitoring, evaluation, and research efforts, while building the skills of country-based monitoring and evaluation team members.
- Guide, review and/or provide input into key project activities or deliverables, reports, or dissemination materials.
- Strengthen the skills of country team members and hand over responsibilities to growing staff while championing program initiatives forward with excellence
- Take the lead on high priority project tasks when different skills or supplemental bandwidth is needed from country teams.
- Support teams to define, employ, and iterate on processes and approaches in areas such as government and stakeholder engagement; continuous quality improvement; program management; health worker training and supervision; and program monitoring and evaluation to promote delivering high quality programs, achieve intended results, and position D-tree for strategic growth.
Organizational Growth (30%)
The Senior Technical Advisor will apply their understanding of D-tree’s country programs and projects, opportunities, and the larger field of global digital health to contribute toward D-tree’s organizational growth. Responsibilities include:
- Contribute toward global business development efforts, including supporting conceptualizing and writing proposals; budgeting and gathering inputs from country team-members for new opportunities; preparing talking points or materials for potential partners; and engaging in partner discussions to secure new or follow-on funding.
- Apply knowledge of projects and country context to review and advise on program design during proposal stage and draft proposed program plans, scopes of work, timelines, resources required, and deliverables.
- Maintain a strong understanding of D-tree’s Organizational Strategic Plan and D-tree Country Strategies to guide our country teams towards achieving organizational and country objectives through our daily work, and ensure Country Strategies remain updated as context, needs and priorities evolve.
- Contribute to external communications, including representing D-tree at conferences or meetings, and developing blog posts or reports to contribute to the broader field of digital health.
- Support additional organizational initiatives as needed.
- Minimum 10 years’ work experience with at least 2 years spent living and working in a low- or middle-income country (sub-Saharan Africa preferred).
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. public health, global development) or equivalent work experience
Required prior work experience includes:
- Leading or providing technical oversight and support to complex health systems strengthening programs
- Managing projects across the program life-cycle including work planning, budgeting, monitoring and evaluation, continuous quality improvement, and reporting.
- Providing technical assistance to senior and mid-level staff in a way that fosters trust, collaboration, and skill building; having done so in a remote working environment strongly preferred.
- Contributing to business development efforts and proposals to diverse funders (such as private foundations, US government, and bilateral or multilateral agencies)
For full qualifications please see our job posting on our website: https://www.d-tree.org/jobs/senior-technical-advisor/
$79,013-$101,952 annual salary inclusive of all cash compensation
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity.
To apply for this role please follow the instructions below. Applications which do not meet these requirements will not be considered. Please note that by applying to this position, you consent to your name being checked against a terrorist watch list prior to an offer of employment.
To apply for this position, please fill in the form here: Senior Technical Advisor Application
Deadline for applications: Open until filled
D-tree is committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and strongly encourages candidates from sub-Saharan Africa to apply.
*Work location is flexible but strong preference for a regional location in or near D-tree countries of operation. Preference is for candidate based in and legally authorized to work in one of D-tree’s country offices (Zanzibar, Tanzania, Malawi, or Zambia).
For the ideal applicant, we may be willing to consider candidates based in the U.S. in select states only, with an expectation of significant travel and early morning working hours to facilitate business overlap with colleagues in Sub Saharan Africa: (states include: Washington D.C., Maryland, Virginia, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Tennessee).
** D-tree is unable to sponsor work or residence permits and the position does not support a relocation package so applicants must be legally authorized to work in their location (and should disclose said location at time of application).