North Mara Gold Mine Limited is seeking to recruit Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) Specialist to join and grow the team. You will be expected to align to Barrick’s DNA and to operate within our mining assets with our Best People Teams. You will contribute in a safe and cost-effective manner to achieve targets in accordance with Mine Safety Standards, Policies and Procedures and ensure daily targets are met.
- Review and update the Resettlement Action Plan for outstanding and future land acquisitions and ensure compliance with relevant legislation, standards, regulations of the Government of Tanzania and IFC PS5 aligned good practice approach.
- Prepare a Resettlement Action Plan report according to the requirements of project.
- Present the Resettlement Action Plan report and assist the Project Manager with presentation of the project to public, relevant Tanzania government authorities and other stakeholders.
- Properly manage land valuations, disclosure to affected people, and preparation of detailed action plans for the delivery of compensation, ensuring that all affected people receive payments or other rehabilitation and assist in the handover of the site free from all encumbrances.
- Ensure that the displaced persons are properly consulted and adequately resettled and compensated. This task entails among other things, proper review of compensation rates in consultation with local governments, land authorities and community organizations to ensure compensation at replacement cost.
- Manage the administrative and technical aspects of social impact assessments for resettlement projects (either as stand – alone projects or as part of an ESIA).
- Effectively manage interfaces between departments and sections – e.g. coordination between social / resettlement and database management, survey/GIS, stakeholder engagement, land surveying, economic modelling, environment, etc.
- Develop and maintain procedures for detailed internal monitoring and evaluation of livelihood impacts from resettlement and take corrective action where necessary.
- Manage socio – economic and asset surveys, including analysis and interpretation of survey data.
- Conduct reviews of historical resettlement activities in order to identify potential issues including cases of inadequate compensation and other livelihood issues.
- Champion the establishment of community – based reviews and monitoring for resolution of past and current resettlement issues
- Facilitate and document resettlement completion audits.
- Manage land issues including protection of North Mara’s SML areas.
- Maintain good collaboration with stakeholders such as local communities, authorities, relevant government departments and within Barrick.
- Bachelor Degree or Postgraduate Degree in Social Sciences, Land Administration, or equivalent disciplines.
Experience and Competencies needed
- Preferably, 7 years’ minimum experience in the preparation and execution of resettlement programs for road, infrastructure and other investment projects.
- Must have demonstrable experience in compiling professional reports that meet applicable technical requirements including land data management.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including knowledge of English and Swahili are essential.
- Knowledge on management of land/resettlement budgets is key.
- Knowledge of land survey/GIS/mapping systems will be an added advantage.
What We Can Offer You
- A comprehensive compensation package including bonuses and site-specific benefits.
- The ability to make a difference and lasting impact.
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team.
- Opportunities to grow and learn with the industry colleagues are endless.
- Access to a variety of career opportunities across the organization.