Referral Focal Person – Dar es Salaam
Medical Teams International Tanzania
Deadline of this Job:
22 December 2022
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Responsible for the overseeing and coordinating all referral activities at the facility level. Takes the lead in monitoring service quality and reporting on patients` treatment progress.
• Conduct daily visit to refugees’ patients admitted at the health facility and giving nursing care, identify problems and needs for further action.
• Ensure proper documentation of all medical and non-medical records, including patient referral forms, discharge summaries and MHA permits.
• Maintaining highest nursing ethical conduct and etiquette guided by philosophies of nursing and those formulated in the hospital.
• Following up on investigation results and appointments for patients at different health facilities.
• Liaising with health facility management and other relevant authority on matters pertaining to patient’s care.
• Preparation of weekly and monthly report and share with Program Manager and Senior Medical Referral Officer Kasulu.
• Ensure referred patients have all documents including MHA permit and referral medical forms after arrival.
• Maintains a cooperative relationship among health care teams by communicating and sharing of information, responding to requests, problem solving and building rapport.
• Arrange public transport for discharged patients and escort them to bus stand back to refugee camp and ensure refugees have all necessary paperwork (discharge summary and permit from immigration).
• Developing summary for admitted patients and discharged patients.
• Ensure admitted patients have received meals i.e., morning tea, lunch and dinner
• Ensuring patients have received all medicine/treatment as indicated in a
• Consulting with physicians and other healthcare professionals on status of the patients for further action
• Resolves patient problems and needs by utilizing multidisciplinary team strategies.
• Coordinate booking and purchase bus tickets for discharged patients and Liaise with immigration Office for movement permits.
• Ensure smooth and close collaboration with health facility, Government, donors, and other stakeholders.
• Assist where necessary in undertaking activities that aim to prevent the occurrence of sexual abuse and exploitation of refugees.
• Responsible for giving health education on common diseases to in patients.
• Ensure the Safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education, Licenses, & Certifications
• Degree or Diploma in Comprehensive Nursing is required
• Registration with Nurses and Midwives Council is required
• Valid practising license is a MUST
• 3 years of working experience.
• Experience with an international NGO or UN agency is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of humanitarian operations and referral established movements.
• Knowledge of Tanzania MoHA, WHO and UN health systems and policies
• Basic knowledge of health strengthening methods and best practices.
• Basic knowledge of set standards and current approaches to monitoring and evaluate established referral movement program.
• Skilled in project cycle management
• Skilled in relationship building with the ability to liaise with multiple partner agencies.
• Skilled in using Unit 4 ERP, HIS and HMIS database systems.
• Skilled in data analysis and writing reports.
• Skilled at using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
• Ability to validate and interpret health data.
• Ability to work independently and as a collaborative team member.
• Ability to negotiate and diplomatic.
• Ability to travel to health facilities frequently and at times upon short notice.
• Ability to exercise considerable initiative to plan, organize and follow through to meet deadlines.
• Ability to support MTI Calling and adhere to the MTI Code of Conduct
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
Tools And Equipment Used
• Requires frequent use of personal computer, including word processing, database programs; calculator, telephone, and copy machine.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is required to walk; climb stairs; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands, and arms.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires occasional travel to health facilities located in remote areas with very basic living conditions.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
• The employee may be required to travel to remote areas where there are potential health hazards and risks, limited hygiene facilities, extreme weather, and very basic living conditions.
• The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by staff assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of staff in this position. Duties, responsibilities and skills are also subject to change based on the changing needs of the job, department or organization. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by Medical Teams International as the requirements of the job change.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
• All interested applicants who meet the criteria should email their application letter, CV, Certified Academic Certificates, Valid Practicing License & Registration from Professional bodies, in either PDF or Word only, including three work related referee to: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Indicate your expected salary, current/previous salary, and notice period at the bottom of your CV.
• Indicate clearly the position applied for in the subject line” Referral Focal Person – Dar es Salaam”.
• Application Deadline: 22nd of December 2022 at 1700HRS.
• Beware that Medical Teams does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing application, or any other fee). Medical Teams does not request any information related to bank accounts. If asked of any payment, please contact email@example.com