GRA – Tanzania
Deadline of this Job:
27 January 2023
Within Tanzania , Musoma , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Program Manager Duties
The Project Manager assumes the direction and coordination of the project “Butiama Tanzania: Hillside forest restoration and re-greening the surrounding landscape”. Placed under the hierarchical responsibility of the GRA-TZ director, he/she has the following responsibilities:
1. Ensure the general coordination of the project, the design and implementation of intervention strategies and methodologies, the planning, execution and technical and financial monitoring of activities, internal reporting and reporting intended for partners and donors, the coordination day-to-day operations and technical support from the team and partners.
2. Ensure the transparent and efficient management of the financial and logistical resources of the project with its accountant and coordination, in particular the preparation with the partners of the annual budget and its monitoring, the preparation of financial reports, the application of procedures, the supervision of the preparation and monitoring of cash requests and the logistics management of the project.
3. Ensure the management and management of the human resources of the project of which he is hierarchical superior, in particular the monitoring and evaluation of employees.
4. Ensure the establishment and implementation of a system for monitoring and evaluating the results and effects of the actions undertaken.
5. Ensure good relations and good coordination of project activities with technical and institutional partners (TFS), actors in the field (decentralized services, village and district councils, agents of the water and forest service, etc.), producer and processor organizations, as well as with other stakeholders in the sector and in the area (other NGOs or projects, etc.).
6. Plan and supervise the work of tree nursery staff at Butiama in order that targets set as for number of trees and species variety are attained
7. Contribute actively to the identification, formulation, negotiation and implementation of possible continuations of the project, or actions in co-financing of the project, as well as new actions of cooperation in the intervention zone.
8. Ensure the institutional representation of the project and the follow-up of GRA‘s commitments with local authorities and technical and financial partners with regard to the project and the Butiama base.
9. Contribute to the advocacy activity of GRA and its partners, to communication actions at the request of GRA headquarters.
10. Ensure the management of the Butiama base.
Terms & Conditions
Contract type: Renewable contract initially for 1 (one) year
Start date: Beginning of March, 2023
Position: Full-time contract, based in Butiama
Hours of Work: Full-time, working a minimum of 8 hours per day. Hours will however vary depending on project needs and flexibility is essential.
Package: Competitive package for a small NGO, with remuneration based on experience
Expected deliverables and respective timelines will be agreed upon during the first month on board
This role requires a strong strategic focus and a record of accomplishment of leadership, coupled with highly effective networking skills. The ideal candidate has a solid ability to motivate and inspire a multi-stakeholder group, funders, staff, and partners as well as citizens, foresters, private sector, and governments to promote the vision and mission of GRA and contribute to the protection of forests and achieve social impact for its inhabitants.
The right candidate will be authentic and charismatic and comes with a diverse skillset. GRA is a small/medium-sized organisation and the Project Manager needs to be hands-on, with a co-creating mindset and ability to delegate and execute at the same time.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a majority of the following skills and experiences:
• Higher education (Master’s degree), or equivalent experience, in Natural Resources Management, Environment, Forestry, Geography, Project Planning and Management or any other related field
• Confirmed experience of at least 5 years in a project/programme coordination or coordination position within an NGO or similar institution, and in the field of rural and local development
• Ability to work in a team and in the field
• Solid analytical and synthesis skills, strong interpersonal and editorial skills, as well as a strong personal capacity for autonomy and adaptation to work in difficult local conditions
• Experience in the field of skills required (environment and restoration of ecosystems and biodiversity)
• Experience to engage local villagers in forest restoration with support from the village and district councils, for the definition and the implementation of collective actions
• Ability to comprise and keep different stakeholders in line with the common goal. Bridge-builder rather than pushing through.
• Experience in leading a monitoring/evaluation system
• Demonstrated ability to raise substantial additional funds over the project life cycle
• Academic research experience appreciated
• Ability to work under pressure, tight deadlines and less supervision, self-motivated person, team player
• Experience and/or knowledge of the areas of intervention highly appreciated
• Computer literate and ability to use data analysis programs (SPSS), MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.
• Holder of a category B driving license
• Languages: fluent in English and Swahili (both speaking and writing)
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
All applications should be submitted together with the most recent Curriculum Vitae (resume), three names of reputable referees, day-time telephone number, e-mail address, and should be sent to Yovita to the following e-mail address
Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
Application Deadline – January 27th 2023