Project Director – Line Manager
Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS)
Deadline of this Job:
31 January 2023
Within Tanzania , Kibondo, Kigoma , East Africa
Date Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The project director is the overall responsible person for all the activities in JRS Tanzania. She or he oversees the overall planning, organizing & implementing, staffing, monitoring & evaluating activities of the project.
The position requires good communication, leadership, managerial skills and the capacity to work with a team. Analytical thinking and the capacity to research innovative intervention methods, as well as creativity and flexibility are also expected.
1. Program Management
• Works in close collaboration with different departments
• Since each head of department is directly responsible for his/her sector for planning, budgeting, implementing, evaluating and reporting ,the responsibility of the project director is to make sure that each sector achieves its defined goals and objectives in accordance with overall work plan of JRS program as approved by Country Director.
• Supervise and coordinate the staff of JRS to ensure that the programs are implemented in accordance with the project proposal and JRS policies.
• To take new initiatives, and to develop project proposals for submission to the Country Director for approval.
• To implement all aspects of the project according to the approved proposal.
• To analyze the needs of the refugees and to suggest new initiatives to the Country Director
• To facilitate reflection on and evaluation of the project by the JRS team.
• To ensure that the project team implements and maintains the use of JRS International programme templates, and finance reporting procedures
1. Budget and Planing
• Oversee the procurement functions of the project in accordance with JRS guidelines and ensure of proper utilization of project assets.
• Ensure proper utilization of resources, including prompt accountability of funds and reporting by various departments.
• With the JRS accountant’s assistance, to administer the project’s finances, guaranteeing a proper accounting of all project expenses
• Work with the Country Director to develop and submit the annual budgets to JRS
• Ensure that the project expenses always match the approved budget.
• Ensure that the monthly activity and finance reports reaches the country office in a timely fashion
• Keeps the Country Director informed on the activities of the project by providing relevant correspondence, reports and meeting minutes as well as by making regular contact.
• Together with the project team members, to write the monthly, six-months and annual project reports.
• Responsible for prompt submission of all JRS financial and narrative reports.
1. Staff Management & Planning
• With help of heads of different departments, the Project Director plans staff requirement for the project as and when vacancies arise.
• With regard to lower level jobs (drivers, secretaries) and middle level jobs (Instructors, teachers, etc.), the Project director hires them in consultation with the heads of departments and after getting approval from the Country Director. In case of higher positions (e.g. department heads and international staff), the matter is referred to the Country Director who in turn consults the Regional director when international staff has to be hired.
• To support team members in their work.
• To facilitate regular team meetings.
• To make sure that each team member has a signed contract and Code of Conduct (discussed with each team member so that they understand their role and responsibilities as a JRS team member.).
1. It is the responsibility of the Project Director to ensure that JRS team is sufficiently safe.
2. If the situation is not adequately safe, the project director has authority to and must promptly evacuate the team from the danger zone in consultation with the Country Director.
• Responsible for co-ordination and liaison between JRS and the parish and diocese/other agencies/local government/local communities/displaced camp community and schools.
• Represents JRS at Local level meetings with parish/diocese/local authorities/other agencies as and when required, as requested by the Country Director.
1. Required Competencies
• Managing resources
• Ability to work and promote effective teamwork
• Working with Stakeholders
• Decision Making
• Empowering and building trust
• Strategic Planning and vision
1. Qualifications and Experience
• A university undergraduate or masters degree in a related field and at least two years practical working experience preferably in project management
• Experience (at least 2 years) working with International NGO
• Experience in managing people/teams.
• Demonstrated experience and commitment to working with marginalized communities.
• Fluency in English (written and spoken) and excellent writing skills.
• Strong analytic, reporting, strategic thinking and planning skills.
• Strong monitoring and evaluation skills/experience.
• Proficiency in Ms Word/Office
Core values and ethics
• Good understanding of and compatibility with the values of JRS;
• Very good pastoral sense and listening abilities and communication/inter-personal skills;
• Demonstrated ability and experience of working in a multicultural environment with good multicultural sensitivities and in a flexible environment;
• Willingness and ability to travel to the regional country offices, when appropriate, for project monitoring visits and live a simple lifestyle;
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidates are requested to submit their applications only and only Online to the following email address: email@example.com
The submitted file must be composed with the following scanned documents:
1. A letter of motivation not exceeding one page;
2. A full curriculum vitae not exceeding two pages;
3. Two certificates of service from recent employers;
4. A certified photocopy of the original diploma(s) or certificate(s) of achievement;
5. Certificates of service rendered;
6. Three referees with their e-mail address and telephone number including the last employer;
The deadline for applications is Tuesday 31st January 2023 at 17:00 TZ Time. Every application submitted must have the title of the position as the name of the submitted 7 document file. Any file which does not contain the mentioned 7 documents or does not have the position title as name will not be considered.