Job Identification : 3467
Locations : Dodoma, Tanzania, United Republic of
Posting Date : 04/28/2022, 07:03 AM
Apply Before : 05/13/2022, 03:59 AM
Degree Level : Advanced/Postgraduate Degree
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NB4
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Inclusive Growth
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Africa
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree
Other Criteria : Bachelors Degree with 2 years of experience
Required Languages : English and Swahili
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP (United Nations Development Programme is the UN’s global development network whose focus is to help countries build and share solutions to the challenges of sustainable development as informed by the 2030 sustainable development agenda. The overall focus for UNDP (United Nations Development Programme) Tanzania is to support the Government of Tanzania to improve the lives of the people through strategic programmatic areas of Inclusive Democratic Governance, Inclusive Economic Growth and Sustainable Livelihoods and Environment Sustainability, Climate Change and Resilience.
UNDP and the European Union have recently signed a Contribution Agreement to support the Government of Tanzania through the Ministry of Energy and collaborating partners to achieve the overall objective of ensuring access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy for all in Tanzania. The project will fast track implementation of key Energy Efficiency actions and prepare a comprehensive Energy Efficiency Action Plan (EEAP), which will be integrated with the Tanzania Energy Efficiency Strategy (TEES) in support of the National Energy Policy and strategic goals set by the Tanzania National Development Vision 2025. In addition to EEAP, other key actions under this project are included.
- Development of Minimum Energy Performance Standards (MEPS) and Labelling;
- Development and implementation of a framework for energy performance certification in large buildings;
- Enhancement of Energy Consumption Data of Large Energy Consumers;
- Development and implementation of a framework for the management of large energy consumers;
- Development of professional qualifications and skills in Energy Management and Audit;
- Creation of Energy Efficiency Awareness of the Public;
- Strengthening of coordination on EEAP implementation.
The project is expected to help the country in strengthening Legal, Regulatory, Institutional framework, and administrative actions to support implementation and introduction of Energy Efficiency actions; help large energy consumers and general users to identify and implement quantifiable investments in Energy Efficiency; help in capacity and skills development, jobs creation and increase employability in the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy services and technology sector, particularly for women and youth; and increase public awareness, access to information, stakeholder dialogue and visibility of financial, economic, and societal benefits of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. The awareness for the public and all EE stakeholders is critical component of the success of this project. The National Energy Efficiency Expert – Awareness Raising is expected to work closely with the Project Manager, the Project Coordination Unit at MOE, and the Project Management Unit at the UNDP, as well as national and international technical experts to facilitate the development and implementation of the Awareness Raising Plan for the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
The National Energy Efficiency Analyst – Awareness Raising will be responsible for delivering the following tasks: 1) Design Awareness Raising Plan including conducting opinion research on importers, distributors and retailers of energy consuming appliances and products, on private and public companies management and Assess findings and results of the opinion research.
- Design, develop and implement of Capacity Building Activities for selected personnel of MOE, EWURA, TANESCO, water utilities and other implementing Agencies on how to plan and implement a successful awareness raising campaign on energy efficiency: objectives, compelling messages, optimal channels, targeted audiences, logos, timeline, budget, tone, style, etc;
- Design classroom lessons with best practices description on how to plan, develop and implement a successful awareness raising campaign;
- Identification of the most suitable media and communication tools for disseminating key messages (TV, radio, digital, printed paper, local events, etc.);
- Assessment of the necessity to plan and realize a pilot Project to test the awareness campaign.
2) Design, develop and implement awareness raising campaigns on energy efficiency for: general public; private and public companies’ management; government and public institutions Officials; decision makers; import companies, dealers, distributors and retailers of energy consuming products; high school and University students.
- For the general public explaining benefits and opportunities of energy efficiency and educating consumers on the importance of saving energy; special focus should be given to the involvement of women using appliances at home;
- Promotion of women to work for an efficient energy management in private companies;
- For the management of SMEs, industrial companies, large commercial buildings (hotels, office buildings, sports halls, fitness centres, etc.) and public national and local institutions to foster the procurement of energy efficient appliances and devices (workshops, leaflets, articles in industry publications, etc.);
- Promotion of energy efficiency adoption for import-export companies, dealers, distributors, and retailers;
- Promotion of energy efficiency for high school and University students to encourage them to study energy efficiency related matters and start new businesses in areas relevant to energy efficiency development; this campaign should also focus on girls.
3) Application of communication channels, tools and media depending on targeted audience, costs, and message in the implementation of previous awareness raising campaigns. These include: TV and radio special programmes (both at national and local levels); Social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.); Specific web portals; and Blogs; Documentaries for TV and the Internet; TV and radio advertisings.
- Design, develop and implement an “Advisory Service” directed at supporting large energy consumers and SMEs in implementing energy efficiency actions.
4) Design, develop and realize an “Energy Efficiency Action Plan” webpage to be embedded in line institutions: MOE, EWURA, TANESCO, REA, etc.
5) Disseminate information and realize every year an “Energy Efficiency Action Plan Progress Report”
6) Publication of three (once a year) of an “Energy Efficiency Action Plan Progress Report”, including the quantification of the level of energy savings.
- Organization of three (one a year) annual Energy Efficiency Action Plan Conference;
- Organize national and international study tours for Officials of MOE, EWURA, TANESCO, water utilities and other implementing Agencies.
The National Energy Efficiency Expert – Awareness Raising will be embedded within the Ministry of Energy, and will report to the Project Manager and the UNDP Project Focal Point. The Expert will work closely with the rest of the experts and relevant institutions.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact;
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems;
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences;
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands;
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results;
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration;
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Ability to select, prioritize and control the organizations programmes and projects, in line with its strategic objectives and capacity; ability to balance the implementation of change initiatives and the maintenance of business-as usual, while optimizing return on investment.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
- Ability to allocate and use resources in a strategic or tactical in line with principles of accountability and integrity.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organizational /project’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner.
Result based Management
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results.
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with project’s strategy and policies.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Master’s degree in Mass Communication, Public Relation, Awareness raising, Journalism or other relevant is required. OR A Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication, Public Relation, Awareness raising, Journalism or other relevant is required.
- At least 0 years (Masters) or 2 years (Bachelor Degree) of professional experience in the field of public relations/communication is required;
- At least 2 years of experience in developing awareness raising and training strategies, campaigns, tools and materials. The candidate will be requested to provide relevant samples to verify this requirement;
- At least 2 years of experience in stages of activity planning and implementation of public relations and/or awareness raising campaigns in international donor funded projects/organizations;
- Experience in awareness raising and training in the field of energy, environment, climate change, disaster risk management, is an asset;
- Experience in training of trainers will be an asset;
- Experience in developing social media accounts/website of public or private institution/international organization/corporations will be an asset;
- Ability to manage competing priorities;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Ability to work as a part of a team, sharing information and coordinating efforts within the team;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines;
- Very good inter-personal skills and demonstrated ability to engage and work with local communities;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Full computer literacy;
- Exceptional ability in communication and networking, negotiations and mediation.
- Excellent command of English and Swahili is a requirement.
Travel: Regular travels to Dar es salaam, Morogoro and Arusha are expected.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.