I. POSITION INFORMATION
VN IOM/KSU/002/2023 (1 Position)
Position title Migration Health Physician (Health Assessment Programs)
Position grade NO-B
Duty station Kasulu/Makere, United Republic of Tanzania.
Appointment type OYFT – 12 Months, with possible extension
Position number To be created
Job family Migration Health Division
Organizational unit 10010625
Is this a Regional, HQ, MAC, PAC, Liaison Office or Country Office based position? Country Office
Position rated on Pre-classified
Reports directly to Migration Health Officer (MHO)
Number of Direct Reports 0
II. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Migration Health Officer (MHO), the successful candidate will be responsible for the carrying out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Kasulu/Makere, Tanzania.
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
1. Ensure the efficient daily operations of the Migration Health Assessment Center (MHAC), in close coordination with the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO).
2. Conduct the Kasulu/Makere,MHAC’s migration health assessment process to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
a. Medical examinations;
c. Laboratory testing;
e. TB management;
f. Treatment and referrals;
g. Pre-departure procedures and medical movements;
h. Documentation, certification and information transmission; and,
i. Other technical areas as may be required
3. Ensure proper identification of refugees and migrants during the health assessment and record all relevant health information in standard forms; ensuring completeness and accuracy of the recorded information.
4. Perform treatment for TB and sexually transmitted infections and provide support to the HIV and counselling activities. Oversee and coordinate the management of TB cases to ensure effective TB treatment.
5. Oversee and coordinate accurate and effective provision of immunization and presumptive treatment programmes in full compliance with the technical guidelines and protocols of the resettlement countries. Assist CMHO in monitoring, supervising and educating all staff in the delivery of these programmes.
6. Contribute to and maintain a system of quality improvement for each service area within the MHAC. Undertake quality control activities on a regular basis, including practice observation, desk audits and use of self- assessment tools. Use data analysis and web reporting system to monitor performance indicators. Ensure implementation of the global IOM Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs); create and implement Kasulu/Makere specific SOPs for each service area. Ensure proper reporting and management of incidents according to the Guidance Note for Incident Management.
7. Organize systematic collection, processing and analyses of migration health data according to guidelines established by the CMHO. Ensure data quality. Provide periodic, as well as ad-hoc reporting to the CMHO for Migration Health activities.
8. Ensure that all data related to heath assessment programmes is appropriately entered to Migrant Management Operational System Application (MiMOSA) and other related databases.
9. Oversee the financial aspects of the MHAC in close coordination with the mission’s finance staff: supervise budget preparation, suggest adjustments and cost-effective solutions, and review financial reports.
10. Provide oversight and coordinate the procurement of medical equipment, vaccines, medications and other medical supplies in coordination with the CMHO and the Resource Management Unit.
4. Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
IV. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• University Degree in Medicine from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant experience;
• Minimum of four (4) years, post-graduation, (post internship in countries with mandatory internship programs) continuous clinical experience, preferably in a multidisciplinary hospital setting. The last clinical posting should be within the last five years; and,
• Valid license to practice within country is mandatory.
(specify the required knowledge) Advantageous
Fluency in English and Kiswahili (oral and written). Working knowledge of French
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day- to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service- oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
The UN system in Tanzania provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, diversity, integrity, a healthy balance of work and life and equal opportunities for all, including persons with disability.
Female candidates and qualified persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply for UN vacancies and are protected from discrimination during all stages of employment.
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank
Interested candidates should fill in the PH form, submit CV’s and cover letter indicating Vacancy Number with 3 professional references and contacts to email address: email@example.com
The vacancy is open for both internal and external Tanzanian nationals only. Only e-mail applications will be considered.
The deadline for submitting the application is 09 February 2023.