Job Title: Maternal Newborn and Child Health (MNCH) Advisor
Report to: Technical Director, Breakthrough ACTION US and Director of SBC Coordination and
Capacity Strengthening Location: Dar es Salaam,Tanzania
Breakthrough ACTION is a cooperative agreement between the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Program (CCP). The MNCH study aims to address empathy and compassion more intentionally within health facilities both for the benefit of providers themselves and for those they provide MNCH services to. The activity will focus on the implementation of an intervention package within a small set of private health facilities in Mwanza and evaluate whether the intervention cultivates compassion within the health system and supports health care worker wellbeing as well as measuring client satisfaction and perceived quality of care.
The MNCH Advisor will coordinate project implementation of the compassionate care intervention package in close partnership with Community Partnerships for Respectful Care (CPRC). S/he will provide ongoing mentorship to the health facilities in the study to support implementation of the intervention package. S/he reports to the Technical Director of Breakthrough ACTION in the United States as well as a connection to the Director of SBC Coordination and Capacity Strengthening in Tanzania, and works closely with CPRC colleagues to implement activities and mentor staff in CPRC-supported health facilities over a 6-month period to ensure that the implementation guidance is used to continuously improve the quality of the intervention that contributes to the study outcomes. S/he will attend all relevant meetings as a representative of Breakthrough ACTION Tanzania.
- Provide mentorship and technical assistance and capacity strengthening to the MNCH compassionate care initiative that is aligned to national priorities and guidelines.
- Manage relationships with CPRC and its supported private sector faith-based health facilities that are part of the intervention.
- Represent Breakthrough ACTION Tanzania in relevant external meetings and events, which may include delivering technical presentations, networking, relationship building, and initiating and follow through with opportunities for collaboration.
- Visit CPRC supported facilities on a monthly basis to oversee study implementation, provide support and conduct monitoring activities.
- Work with senior staff to facilitate MNCH-related meetings, trainings and workshops, including the creation of agenda and materials, as necessary.
- Proactively remain up to date with key MNCH-related national and global recommendations and guidelines and integrate these into programming.
- Contribute towards reporting on activities for the Breakthrough ACTION team.
- Support results reporting to USAID by providing written documentation on MNCH activities, as appropriate.
- Maintain frequent, open, ongoing communication with program team members in all locations (offsite, in headquarters, and internationally).
- Liaise with internal and external partners.
- Adhere to JHU, CCP and donor rules, regulations, and policies.
- Upload and save deliverables on relevant knowledge management platforms.
- Assist with other activities as directed by the supervisor.
- Master’s degree (M.A., MHS, MPH) required. Ten years’ related experience required.
- Tanzania national
- Experience working in Tanzanian health facilities, public and private.
- Oral and written fluency in English and Kiswahili
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience working in partnership with host governments, international donors, and implementing partners.
- Experience working in MNCH programs.
- Experience working with SBC programs.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, experience with monitoring and evaluation of health programs demonstrating a high level of responsibility.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Excellent ability to articulate oral and written technical information clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences, and,
- Excellent past performance references
- This position may require up to 25% regional travel within Mwanza
Sharing is Caring! Click on the Icons Below and Share
All candidates are encouraged to submit e-mail applications to [email protected]
With copies of current CV, cover letter and three professional referees. Please indicate which position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
Deadline for receiving applications: 12:00pm EAT on October 27, 2023.