Manager, Banking Applications
Deadline of this Job:
20 January 2023
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
BRAC is an international development organization with the vision of a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination where everyone has the opportunity to realize their potential. BRAC uses an integrated model to change systems of inequity through social development programmes, humanitarian response, social enterprises, and socially responsible investments. BRAC is known for its holistic, data-driven and community-based programming and is a global leader in developing cost- effective, evidence-based programmes in conflict-prone and post-disaster settings and has been ranked the #1 NGO in the world for the last five consecutive years by NGO Advisor.
BRAC International Holdings B.V. (BIHBV) is a socially responsible for-profit organization, engaging people in sustainable economic and income-generating activities. The core focus of BIHBV is to provide microfinance services outside Bangladesh to people who are financially constrained and marginalized, and people who do not have access to the financing facilities offered by commercial banks and other non-bank financial institutions. It does this through its international microfinance activities. BRAC International Microfinance’s (BI MF) mission is to provide a range of financial services responsibly to people at the bottom of the pyramid. BI MF particularly focuses on women living in poverty in rural and hard to reach areas to create self-employment opportunities, build financial resilience, and harness women’s entrepreneurial spirit by empowering them economically.
BRAC International Microfinance is seeking application from competent, dynamic and self-motivated individuals to fill the following position:
Manager, Banking Applications
The Banking Applications Manager will provide specialist application support to core banking and back-office applications used within BRAC International. The role will work within the ITIL service management framework to (1) supervise efficient and secured operation of all core applications – core banking, analytics, reporting and ERP systems (2) champion ITIL service management practices at all MF countries and (3) ensure efficient and expert application support services to all microfinance operations. The role will work with BIHBV-approved consultants/service partners on new installations, enhancements or changes to core applications while ensuring that IT standards, policies and procedures are followed. The role will also coordinate the delivery of core applications technical training to Country IT staff
The key responsibilities include but not limited to the following–
- Working within the global IT team and with service partners, lead successful implementations of BI’s core banking applications – Temenos R20 banking system with Financial Crime Mitigation, data analytics and reporting system, financial consolidation platform, and digital financial services solutions – at Country offices by (1) providing technical direction in all migration to the BIHBV Temenos Model Bank (2) working with country IT managers to ensure the establishment of published standards, policies, and procedures for maintaining the integrity of the Model Bank
- Ensure effective technical and user support for core application– system maintenance, product specification and documentation of system changes, development of management reports, management of an efficient test environment
- Ensure security of business data within core applications
- Coordinate end-user training for core applications with IT Service Manager and country IT managers
- Lead the implementation and testing procedures to ensure that newly released software produce the expected results for the business operations.
- Apply strict change control measures in any customizations required by the country offices.
- Establish and enforce core applications system backup, recovery, and data retention criteria.
- Relate well with BI strategic service partners to resolve complex technical problems
- Document recovery procedures and security settings for applications for the purposes of disaster recovery and user security.
- Encourage teamwork and the sharing of best practice amongst all staff.
- Work with Service partners and other IT staff to achieve timely resolution of core application issues
- Keep in line with the trend in the market, advise management on market development (e.g., Temenos development roadmap and current developments in microfinance and banking industry)
- Ensure the safety of team members from any harm, abuse, neglect, harassment and exploitation to achieve the programme’s goals on safeguarding implementation. Act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment.
- Practice, promote and endorse the issues of safeguarding policy among team members and ensure the implementation of safeguarding standards in every course of action.
- Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place, encourage others to do so.
- Develop and maintain own knowledge, expertise, and professionalism.
- Keep abreast of current developments in microfinance and IT industry.
- Remain current with organization’s technological requirements and new developments in the industry.
- Meet personal training and development needs through relevant professional and commercial training and networking.
- At least Bachelors’ Degree in Computer Science or Information technology.
- Professional certification in ITIL Foundation and Microsoft SQL Server is a plus.
Skills and Competencies Requirements:
- Good knowledge of TCPIP communication protocol
- Wide knowledge of and advanced skills in computer hardware and software programs of diverse functionality. Including but not limited to, communications systems, desktop applications, and network administration programs.
- Significant experience in supporting Microsoft SQL server database
- Application development skills especially in Java, Visual Basic and/or C++ a plus
- Experience with integration technologies such as Apache ActiveMQ, Rest APIs will be an advantage
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly and persuasively, interpret documents, understand procedures, write reports and correspondence; speak clearly to third parties and employees.
- Able and willing to solve complex analytical challenges, independently analyze information; and make recommendations based on analysis.
- Self-motivated team player with the ability to adapt and work co-operatively and effectively in different situations and teams to carry out assigned tasks.
- Disposition to share knowledge fully and willingly with other employees in the interest of the organization.
- Commitment to the BRAC International mission, core values the ability to incorporate the mission and values in the workplace.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- At least 6 years’ experience supporting Temenos core banking systems in medium to large organizations
- at least 4 years of advanced Microsoft SQL database management experience
Employment type: Contractual
Job Location: Preferably in either of the BRAC International Microfinance operating countries in Africa (Ghana/Uganda/Tanzania/Liberia/Sierra Leone/Rwanda) or the regional office in Kenya
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
If you feel you are the right match for the above-mentioned position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
External candidates need to email their CV with a brief introductory letter indicating current and expected salary at firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal candidates need to apply with their latest CV including all job assignments in detail with BRAC PIN and email to email@example.com
Please mention the name of the position and AD# BI 02/23 in the subject bar.
Only complete applications will be accepted, and short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 20 January 2023
BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation – regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. Therefore, our recruitment process includes extensive reference and background checks, self-disclosure of prior issues regarding sexual or other misconduct and criminal records and our values are the part of our Performance Management System.
BRAC is an equal opportunities employer