Independent Non-Executive Director (INED) – Tanzania
Deadline of this Job:
31 January 2023
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job Title: Independent Non-Executive Director (INED) – Tanzania
Reports to: Chairman of the Board
• To support the Chairman and existing Independent Non-executive directors
• To bring experience of operating within a Commercial Bank to provide strategic guidance and insight to the Board for the governance arrangements and structure at Non-Executive, Executive and Senior Manager level as the Bank implements its strategic vision
• The Bank expects this its business line to grow quickly requiring the INED role to contribute specialized experience including latest opportunities in fintech and guide the Board deliberations.
• The role holder will likely serve on other board committees and should be able to provide constructive challenge and make strong contributions to those specialized committees and the board as a whole.
• This Role comprises a 24-day contractual commitment inclusive of the four board (and associated sub-committees) meetings scheduled during that period.
Role responsibilities& tasks
• Demonstrate significant commercial, strategic and operational experience in Board discussions.
• Is prepared to initiate robust debate, challenge, and express different views in order to provide constructive review of the business by the board.
• Guide the Board in technical understanding and practical implementation of Tanzania statutory and regulatory requirements for the banking business with particular focus on all segments.
• Guide the Board on evaluating and identifying significant strategic opportunities in banking the Tanzanian diaspora with cross border fintech and digital solutions
• Remain aware of current regulatory expectations against which both individuals and board members are evaluated by BOT
• Provide constructive guidance to the Board in overseeing the business as it implements the risk management approach to the evolving business strategy.
• Provide guidance and oversight to management as they develop a customer centric set of values for the Bank.
• Must be able to fulfil all time requirements, including but not limited to, Board meetings, other ad hoc meetings and time spent getting to know the business.
Knowledge, skills & experience [required]:
• Has operated successfully at a senior level such that there is an understanding of the challenges and issues facing a bank and the Board, with appropriate experience to be able to operate at NED level.
• Experience, ideally at board level, of operating in a Tanzania regulated banking environment is essential
• Able to handle the personal dynamics of the boardroom/committees as well as understanding and managing the informal structures within the organisation.
• Ideally, is or within last 3 years been a Senior Manager and/or Approved Person, as defined by the Tanzania Regulators.
• Possess fintech experience in retail banking, payments, and/or onboarding.
Other [Not mandatory]
• Knowledge or understanding of operating in an international financial services environment with a focus on Africa or other emerging market would be helpful