Head of Sub Office
Deadline of this Job:
13 February 2023
Within Tanzania , Kasulu , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
To plan and manage field operations to ensure the effective and efficient deployment of food assistance programmes and use of allocated resources.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Effectively manage the Field Office to ensure the continued development of a cohesive and high performing team.
2. Plan and manage WFP field operations within the area of assignment to ensure effective and efficient delivery of food assistance and that daily operational issues are timely resolved to prevent losses or delays.
3. Ensure that allocated resources are used efficiently and are in line with agreed plans, and any deviations are reported to the Area/Country Office.
4. Hold accountability for the security of WFP staff, operations, premises, and assets in the Field Office to ensure that WFP security and safety standards are locally set and followed. Actively participate and contribute to the Area Security Management Team (ASMT).
5. Conduct timely monitoring and evaluation of activities and prepare accurate and comprehensive reports on WFP’s operations and performance with regular and timely submission for Area/Country Office review to inform efficient operational planning and decisions.
Key accountabilities continued
6. Build effective and collaborative relations with the local authorities and contribute to the expertise sharing and capacity building for effective preparedness and response to food assistance needs.
7. Build partnerships to improve assistance packages, develop and sustain liaison with local government authorities, international and local NGOs, UN agencies, civil societies, beneficiaries and other partners and media engaged in the field of food security.
8. Ensure extensive and frequent presence at project areas, distribution sites and centers.
9. Lead coordination of WFP and inter-agency initiatives to support livelihoods of host population, including UN Joint Programmes.
10. Other as required
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Strategy & Planning||Applies strong understanding of key national and international socio-political issues and the complexity and range of WFP programmes to plan and oversee implementation of programmes in area of responsibility, coordinating and monitoring to ensure effective fulfilment of the area’s needs.|
|Operations||Applies understanding of WFP’s operations within the area of assignment to ensure optimal deployment of food aid and food assistance programmes and the resolution of high impact operational issues that arise.
Demonstrates an in-depth understanding of WFP programmes, supply chain and budgeting principles.
|Resource||Proactively builds profile of WFP within area of responsibility, effectively leveraging this to lead fundraising initiatives. Utilises understanding of WFP structure and delivery model and strong commercial knowledge to effectively develop, manage and control budgets, with frequently limited funding.|
|Diplomacy||Applies negotiation, networking and diplomacy skills to develop, nurture and sustain mutually beneficial external partnerships with local government authorities, international and local NGOs, civil societies, UN agencies, donors, beneficiaries and other partners/ media engaged in the field of food security, to improve assistance packages.
Collaborates with governments and other partners to identify opportunities for food assistance programmes in-line with WFP’s strategic aims locally, and negotiates the optimal approach to delivery against these.
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role
- Ten years’ experience in similar position.
- Has developed, or supported in the development of, single discipline work plans to support the achievement of WFP strategic aims within a defined area.
- Has gained some exposure in field operations, preferably in a hardship duty station or emergency.
- Has field experience via field rotations or working in a sub-office, and through field postings.
- Gained experience of analyzing local political situations and assessing risk accurately.
- Gained broader exposure across areas within a function (i.e. policy, programme etc.).
- Has gained experience managing small to mid-size financial budgets, balancing priorities effectively.
- Has experience leading a small to mid-size team to ensure the effective delivery of objectives.
- Participated in a vendor/government/ partner negotiation within area of focus.
- Participated in a small emergency operation/ development programme.
- Has experience with security co-ordination and compound management within a smaller area.
Terms and Conditions
Only Tanzanian nationals should apply.