Government Liaison Associate
Deadline of this Job:
29 March 2023
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
1. General Background
The Government Liaison Associate is a member of the Government Liaison Unit. S/he will report to the Representative. The incumbent receives regular guidance and advice from the supervisor. S/he participates in all meetings/working groups related to the Government and to provide support on coordination work on common processes.
Under the supervision of the Representative, the responsibilities of the Government Liaison Associate is to give, obtain and exchange information requiring discussions and explanations both to UNHCR, Government authorities and other external parties on subject matters which may be of importance to the Organization.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
All UNOPS personnel’s affiliate to UNHCR are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, UNOPS Personnel are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
• Assist in the establishment of close working relations with officials in various ministries especially Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
• Keep track of evolving issues concerning asylum seekers, stateless persons and refugees within the Area of Responsibility (AoR).
• Ensure that the office is kept informed of local and international developments which may have a political or operational impact on the office’s relation with the Government, including latest developments with regard to the implementation of the GCR, UN reform etc.
• Inform the supervisor and/or other senior managers on a continuing basis of relevant information on the outcome of discussions with government authorities on various issues.
• Assist senior management in dealing with the challenges posed by the political context, developments with the Government and issues related to humanitarian and development processes.
• Accompany the Representative/Deputy Representative/Head of Office and Headquarters visitors on missions and meetings.
• Assist in preparation for different visits and missions to the operation.
• Liaise with Government partners and local authorities on behalf of UNHCR, as required.
• Draft correspondence and reports as required and assist in the drafting of briefing notes, background material, talking points, fact sheets, as required.
• Manage budget, when requested, including tracking expenditures.
• Initiate upon request of the supervisor the contact with the relevant external parties on various issues.
• Coordinate with different units in the office that information presented to government authorities is duly verified and endorsed by the supervisor.
• Perform other related duties as required.
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
• Timely and accurate registration and documentation as stated above.
• Other allocated tasks assigned are completed timely
4. Qualifications and Experience
a. Education (Level and area of required and/or preferred education)
• Political/Social Science;
• Business Administration;
• or other relevant field;
(List number of years and area of required work experience. Clearly distinguish between required experience and experience which could be an asset.)
• For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Good knowledge of UNHCR operations and good political awareness.
• MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation;
• CO-Cross-cultural communication
• Organizational Awareness
• Teamwork & Collaboration
• Commitment to Continuous Learning
• Client & Result Orientation
• Empowering and Building Trust
• Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
• Political Awareness
• Stakeholder Management
d. Language Skills:
Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree