Executive Director at Economic and Social Research Foundation (ESRF)
The Economic and Social Research Foundation (ESRF) is an independent policy research institution based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. ESRF was established in 1994 to respond to the growing need for a research think tank with a mandate to conduct research for policy analysis and capacity building. The Foundation’s primary objectives are therefore to undertake policyenhancing research, to strengthen capabilities in policy analysis and decision making, as well as articulate and improve the understanding of policy options in government, the public sector, the donor community, and the growing private sector, and civil society.
The key themes or core research areas at ESRF are compliant to the Tanzania Development Vision 2025, the third National Five Years Development Plan 2021/22 – 2025/26 and East African Community Development Strategies. The themes covered by ESRF are: (i) Inclusive Growth, Employment and Industrialization; (ii) Globalisation, Regional Integration, Trade, Investment and Business facilitation; (iii) Governance and Accountability; (iv) Social Service Delivery and Social Protection; (v) Natural Resources and Environmental Management; and (vi) Enhancing digital Economy, Knowledge Management and Innovation.
The Foundation promotes public understanding of economic and social conditions as well as public policy issues. It carries out policy research, capacity building and promotes dialogue on policy issues by engaging both public and private sector stakeholders through online and offline discussions. It also widely disseminates the results of research and discussions through publications and posting on its websites:
Following the vacant position of the Executive Director, ESRF hereby seeks to recruit experienced, competent, self-motivated with moral standing and dynamic Tanzanian for the said position.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Holder of PHD degree in Economics, Sociology, or any other related discipline with a minimum of 10 years’ experience of research and policy analysis, capacity development and knowledge management.
- Strong track record in research publication with a minimum of ten units of publications/consultancy reports of which at least three in internationally recognized scholarly fora.
- Demonstratable skills and experiences in managing research programs/projects and consultancies.
- Demonstratable knowledge and experience in institutional governance and a passion for institutional building.
- A strategic thinker and a team player with strong leadership skills for achieving vision, mission, and objectives of an institution.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and networking abilities
- Ability to plan, multitask and work under pressure.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides strategic leadership in the implementation of ESRE’s Vision, Mission and its objectives in continuously transforming ESRF to new levels as a centre of excellence in Tanzania and beyond;
- Preparing and supervising the implementation of Medium Term Strategic Plans and setting measurable and monitorable targets for its implementation;
- Identification, recruitment and efficient management of human resources for optimal performance of the Organization, by applying appropriate policies and regulations of ESRF and the country;
- Engages in resource mobilization from different sources, domestically and internationally, for sustained funding of ESRF’s Programmes and Institutional overheads;
- Supervising the design and implementation of policies, programmes and projects for the Institution as a whole and those specific to different departments;
- Preparation and supervision of Annual Work Plans and Budgets; and their respective Progress or implementation reports as required;
- Efficient Management and utilization of financial resources; and timely preparation and auditing of accounts for submission to the Board of Trustees;
- Identifying appropriate Global Institutional and individual networks for collaboration with ESRF and its staff;
- Maintaining linkages with, and expanding the network of Associate Professionals to work with ESRF in Research, Capacity Development, Knowledge Management and branding of the Institution;
- Striving to align ESRF’s research, capacity building and dissemination functions to the country’s medium and long term sustainable development objectives and goals;
- Branding ESRF as reputable reference Think Tank in Tanzania and the rest of the World and
- Performing all other duties as may be assigned by the Board of Trustees.
Salary: Attractive salary as per ESRF Salary Scheme.
ESRF is an equal opportunity employer. Send your application, a detailed CV, certified copies of your certificates and transcripts, your telephone number, email and three referees with their emails, postal addresses and telephone numbers to:
Secretariat of ED Search Committee,
Economic and Social Research Foundation,
P.O. Box 31226,
51 Uporoto Street, Ursino Estate,
DAR ES SALAAM
You can also send electronic copies of your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should reach the Foundation on or before 2nd May 2023.