ACDI/VOCA is a global development organization working in over 60 countries around the world. In Tanzania, ACDI/VOCA is implementing the USAID-funded Feed the Future Tanzania Kilimo Tija Activity, which aims to transform the Tanzanian horticulture market system into a more vibrant, competitive, resilient, and inclusive one capable of fueling sustained growth and drawing in new market participants.
ACDI/VOCA believes that all people should have the opportunity to achieve better lives for themselves, their families, and their communities. With diverse partners, ACDI/VOCA empowers people to succeed in the global economy.
Pursuant to its mission, ACDI/VOCA is seeking an experienced and talented professional for the Environmental Specialist position. The position supports all the departments and project stakeholders in implementing environmentally sound design and management procedures. Supervise the Project Pesticide Evaluation and Safer Use Action Plan (PERSUAP) implementation during pest control product procurement and application in farms and the agro dealers’ distribution system.
Location: Iringa (1 post)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(1) Responsible for the overall FTFT Kilimo Tija Project environmental compliance, including
keeping the PERSUAP, EMMP, and environmental checklists up-to-date;
- Facilitate the training and implementation plan of the environmental procedures during the execution of activities by the project stakeholders in the horticulture market system.
- Provide expert advice and evaluation on environmental sustainability, the mitigation measures that must be taken on the farms of stakeholders, and all the business and investment activities that the FTFT Kilimo Tija Program supports.
- Conduct field visits, collect data on the level of adoption of environmental mitigation measures by project stakeholders, and advise on compliance with environmental regulations, as proposed by the Project Environmental Monitoring and Mitigation Plan.
(2) Report quarterly on the findings and progress of the project stakeholders’ activities on
safeguarding the environment in the implementation of their activities;
- Advise the FTFT Kilimo Tija Project Management Team on Tanzania Environmental Laws that should be followed in the agriculture sector, as well as appropriate technologies that project stakeholders should use to reduce risks and ensure compliance with the project environmental management plan.
(4). Performs any other duties delegated by management.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in environmental science with experience in agriculture, agronomy, botany, horticulture, or a related field.
- At least 5 years of work experience in agriculture or an institution supporting agricultural scaling technology.
- Must have excellent knowledge of horticulture production, strong leadership skills, and a proven track record in agriculture development projects.
- Previous or current experience in the horticulture industry in Tanzania is an added advantage.
- Excellent writing skills and oral communication skills
- ability to work independently and produce quality communications under tight deadlines
- Complete fluency in oral and written Kiswahili and English
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and other media creation/editing programs
Candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com no later than December 31, 2022. Candidates should indicate the position for which they are applying in the subject line. Only fully qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. ACDI/VOCA is an equal-opportunity employer.