Environmental and Social Management Systems (ESMS) Officer at Mwambao Coastal Community Network
Environmental and Social Management Systems (ESMS) Officer
Mwambao Coastal Community Network
Deadline of this Job:
Sunday, April 02 2023
Within Tanzania , Zanzibar, East Africa
Date Posted:Sunday, April 02 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Mwambao is implementing a multi-million Euro, 4.5-year project funded by the Blue Action Fund (BlueAction). Mwambao seeking an experienced ESMS Officer to support the effective implementation, monitoring, and reporting of social and environmental safeguards associated with the BlueAction grant entitled ‘Increasing socio-ecological resilience through community-led management of key coastal ecosystems in the Pemba Channel, Tanzania’.
Overview of the role
Mwambao was recently awarded funding to continue and scale work in Pemba and on the Tanga-Mkinga coastline. This multi-million Euro project funded by the Blue Action Fund (BlueAction) spans 4.5-years. Mwambao is seeking an ESMS Officer to support the oversight of social and environmental safeguards as this project is implemented. The role is predominately focussed on social safeguards and therefore the successful candidate will have technical knowledge and experience of applying social science methodologies in the conservation or international development context, as well as being open to learning and able to quickly pick up new skills. In addition, they have experience in delivering training and capacity strengthening, project design, management and monitoring. They will have experience of working in a cross-cultural environment and experience in applying their skills to a conservation, rural livelihoods or natural resource management context.
Reporting to: Head of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
Key relationships within Mwambao-MCCC- Project Manager- BAF, CTA
Key relationships within Fauna & Flora International- Technical Specialist, Social and Environmental Safeguards (FFI)
Roles and Responsibilities
The primary purpose of this role is to ensure that Mwambao, adequately identifies, avoids, manages and/or mitigates negative environmental and social impacts affecting communities or other relevant stakeholders as a result of the work undertaken as part of the BlueAction project in Tanzania. This will be achieved by working directly with a counterpart in FFI to ensure the implementation, monitoring and reporting of the social and environmental safeguards tools outlined in the BlueAction environmental and social management plan (ESMP) and process framework.
The key roles and responsibilities are as outlined below
• Support the implementation of locally appropriate methods and interventions to assess, manage, monitor and act on social and environmental impacts as identified in the project’s Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS), other safeguard instruments and in the relevant Mwambao positions and statements
• Work collaboratively with the other team members of the Mwambao Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL ) Team to ensure implementation of robust documentation and data management systems and monitoring.
• Support the ongoing maintenance of project ESMS tools including: Environmental and Social Management Plan, Process Framework, Stakeholder Engagement Plan, and Grievance Mechanism.
• Document the use of ESMS tools and refine and adapt where necessary, in close collaboration with Mwambao
• Development of outputs (e.g., updated social safeguard documents) and reports according to agreed workplans and in a timely manner for funder reporting requirements
• As required and in line with approved strategic plans, contribute to and support the development of funding proposals, ensuring the accuracy and appropriateness of work planned in Tanzania
Budgeting and Reporting
• Contribute to the production of annual work-plans and budgets for delivery of BAF project, in line with annual project budgets and anticipated outcomes
• Contribute to the provision of accurate and timely technical project reports as per Mwambao and donor requirements for ESMS
• Ensure full compliance with Mwambao position statements, protocols, policies and procedures, ensuring work is done to high quality and within fund budgets
• Undertake regular travel to project sites, Tanga region, Zanzibar (Unguja and Pemba), relevant conferences and international meetings as required
• Support a culture of excellent communication, sharing of knowledge, lessons learnt and best practice and collaboration between project staff, wider Mwambao team members, supporting partners and other stakeholders as appropriate
• Undertake any other tasks commensurate with the position that may be requested from time-to-time by Line Manager.
• Relevant technical skills including conducting environmental and/or social impact assessments, conducting applied research on sustainable livelihoods, preparing community land use and resource use plans, stakeholder mapping, community conservation activities, etc.
• Ability to think critically and analyse complex and nuanced problems
• Facilitation and training experience
• Fluent written and spoken English and Swahili
• Proven organisational skills, with structured and methodical approach to work and a clear focus on results
• Excellent writing skills including attention to detail, documentation of activities, and preparation of reports
• Proficient Microsoft Office skills
Knowledge and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant discipline (e.g. natural resource management, anthropology, human geography, environmental management) or at least 5 years’ experience in a similar role
• Experience of working in partnership with other NGOs (e.g., in consortium), government agencies and/or local civil society organisations
• Experience of dealing diplomatically with delicate topics of equity and rights with communities, their representatives and government institutions
• Experience with project management including developing and following workplans and budgets
• Experience or knowledge of Kobo toolbox, Tableau
• Relevant technical skills in applying social safeguards such as stakeholder engagement plans, grievance mechanisms, and process frameworks (e.g. IFC PS or WB ESS)
• Experience working on a Blue Action Funded Project
• Data management experience
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply for this post please submit a CV and Cover Letter (max 2 pages) and complete this form by April 3rd 2023. The covering letter should include why you are interested in this position with Mwambao and emphasize how your skills and experience match those required for the job. Only candidates who meet the requirements for this position will be contacted for an interview.