Chief of Party, Digital Square
Deadline of this Job:
Tuesday, May 02 2023
Within Tanzania , Morogoro, East Africa
Date Posted:Tuesday, May 02 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships, and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges.
The Center of Digital and Data Excellence (CoDE) at PATH works with government ministries of health, the private sector, and donors to strengthen the use of digital technologies and data for improved health services. Digtal Square is one of CoDE’s flagship global initiatives. It is PATH-led and funded by multiple donors, including USAID and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, to advance digitally enabled health services to help close the health equity gap. Conceived from the lessons of the inefficiencies and redundancies of prior investments in digital technologies for international development, Digital Square works with ministries of health to align adaptable, interoperable digital technologies with local health needs and brings partners together to improve how the global community designs, uses, and pays for digital health tools and approaches.
PATH is currently recruiting for a Chief of Party (COP) for its Digital Square team. The COP will be responsible for overall technical leadership, management, and operations for the USAID-funded Digital Square Tanzania program. They will ensure that the project’s goals, objectives, and strategy are achieved and that contractual requirements are met on time and within budget. The COP will take a leadership role in coordination of all activities across all relevant parties, including the donor and partners for the project. They will also oversee all project staff and sub-partners to results-oriented planning, leadership, and coordination of project activities and products.
This position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Project leadership, accountability, and strategy:
• Provide project leadership and accountability for successful completion of project deliverables, including oversight of activities, sub-agreements, and budget.
• Serve as the primary point of contact for Digital Square, both internally and externally. Ensure effective communication, coordination, and collaboration with project stakeholders.
• Lead regular updates including weekly discussions with donors, and Ministry of Health and other implementing partners as needed.
• Work closely with key stakeholders and digital health leadership to help develop the project strategy and translate that strategy into action plans. Provide overall coordination of activities and their implementation, resolve issues, and communicate project information, including providing technical oversight and advising, as needed.
• Provide technical support in project monitoring and evaluation, ensure reporting and documentation is completed in a timely manner, ensure compliance with partner organization protocols, applicable government regulations, and organizational policies.
• Represent PATH externally to international agencies, collaborators, other nongovernmental organizations, and the donor community as necessary.
• Support the MoH and donors with coordination of key technical activities related to the projects and provide technical advice on digital implementation and data use.
• Coordinate capacity building efforts on digital health for inhouse resources.
• Partner with Africa regional directors of CoDE and DSQ to extend regional capabilities.
Project and team management:
• Oversee all project staff and project secondments on the project. These roles include but are not limited to: Technical Advisors seconded to the government, technical project manager, project officers, and project administrators.
• Work with stakeholders to ensure accountability and compliance with project deliverables and requirements to donors and the MOH.
• Lead team and manage to develop project annual work plans, overseeing the work of the project team to develop and maintain tracking systems for project implementation.
• Liaise with the MOH and donors on implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting.
• Work with project administrators responsible for financial management of project budgets by leading development and management of the project budget to establish and oversee sub-agreements.
• Assist with other programmatic and administrative duties as required for successful implementation of program activities.
• Work closely with program teams to identify potential digital health and data opportunities and translate that into business development initiatives in partnership with the CoDE/ Digital Square team.
• Support with technical review and input into concepts and proposals on matters of digital health and health informatics
• Ability to build strategic partnerships in the sector, raise PATHs visibility in the digital health space to help the organization better position for opportunities and grow the digital health and data portfolio.
• Support the Country Director in stakeholder engagement as may be needed.
• At least 12 years’ progressive experience in implementing and leading technical and program activities for donor-funded health programs (at national and regional levels), ideally with a digital health focus, but experience with initiatives based on health systems strengthening, and/or sustainability are also highly desirable.
• Demonstrated high-level managerial skills, particularly in multiple, small to mid-size (>$10+ million) donor-funded projects is preferred.
• Experience managing USAID-supported projects. Knowledge and experience with other international development organizations’ contracting policies and procedures is preferred.
• Highly developed expertise in managing and motivating diverse teams, including ensuring continued professional development.
• Experience working with MOH structures and personnel and good knowledge of health systems strengthening, strong programming, management, technical and critical thinking skills to facilitate program implementation.
• Experience managing US Government funded programs.
• Excellent analytical, communication, presentation and report writing skills. Able to present complex technical information to a non-technical audience, with the ability to provide the appropriate level of detail.
• Team-focused and collegial with the ability to interact with diverse colleagues and facilitate strong working relationships; adept at working closely with others over geographical distance.
• Strong emotional intelligence and able to create a highly collaborative work environment consisting of both technical and subject matter experts.
• A good understanding of Ministry of Health (Kenya) digital health land scape including National Digital Health Strategic Plan implementation roadmap.
• Must have legal authorization to work in Kenya.
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the online application process:
• Cover Letter
• CV in reverse chronological format
PATH is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is valued.
PATH is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. PATH does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 144
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree