Business Development and Project Manager
Deadline of this Job:
20 February 2023
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, February 10, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
NIRAS Tanzania Limited was established in 2009. With a strong pipeline, we expect the office to continue to grow its activities and develop its capacities to add ever great value to our Tanzania networks. More information on NIRAS International Consulting can be found on the NIRAS website – https://www.niras.com/sectors/development-consulting/.
We are looking for a well-organized, ambitious, and results-oriented Business Development and Project Manager responsible for providing oversight and coordination of client engagement, business development, bid writing and project management to join the NIRAS Tanzania Ltd. S/he will provide advanced research, analysis, and high-quality written inputs to projects; manage low risk projects; contribute to or lead tender development; and provide other support to projects and company initiatives as required. S/he will consult and advise clients and other project stakeholders, primarily in his/ her area(s) of expertise relating to one of NIRAS technical fields S/he will report to the Country Director and to the various project managers or the project director when managing a project in our work to pursue the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) with our clients and partners in Tanzania.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Develop in-depth knowledge of the sector/thematic priority areas for NIRAS Tanzania and systematically gather information regarding clients’ and funding agencies’ strategies and programming initiatives in these areas.
- Lead market position strategy and increase the company visibility in the market
- In consultation with the Business Unit Market Coordinator and Country Office Director maintain an overview of the pipelines and internal processes to prioritize “potential winning” bids.
- Coordination of the tender development process and pursuit of opportunities in liaison with the Tanzania country office, and other NIRAS Offices across the globe.
- Take lead in collating information on lessons learned from EOI and Bid processes; ensure the post-bid analyses take place and information disseminated and actions taken.
- Identify and build relationships with new and potential clients (including donors, aid agencies, government agencies, programmes and private business).
- Develop and maintain a database of clients, consultants (experts) and companies
- Support or lead identifying strategic partners, experts and develop unique selling proposition and differentiators to create a competitive edge for NIRAS Tanzania. Specifically explore opportunities for collaboration in Bids, fact-finding missions etc.
- Expand NIRAS Tanzania network of strategic partners, associates/experts and consultants by identifying and quality assuring new consultants (Tanzanian and international) and maintain regular contact with them. Manage the consultant roster/ NIC expert online database (CVPT).
- Represent the company’s business development interests at relevant meetings, events or donor-specific peer networks as it relates to NIRAS interest/thematic areas.
Bids and Tendering
- Coordinate the preparation of Expression of Interests and business proposals working with bid teams and technical bid writers.
- Take lead and respond to Request for Proposals, Expressions of Interests analysis, Request for Quotations, reference selection and RfP/ EOI elaboration process.
- Ensure application of NIC routines, templates and tools to deliver uniform/consistent results in a cost-efficient manner.
- Manage activities for bid preparation and planning including Teaming, bid strategy, development of win-themes, oversight of and contribution to technical design, drafting management and other sections of the bid process.
- Analyse tender requirements and technical, costing and other issues of relevance to bids and provide substantive written inputs to proposals in areas of competence.
- Perform diligence process and fact-finding missions, by studying integration of new ventures with company strategies and operations; examining risks and potentials; estimating partners’ needs and goals.
- Advice on and assist outreach to relevant consultants and companies to pursue options for entry of consortia and partnerships for bids. Maintain contact and negotiate with identified consultants and partners.
- Ensure all relevant documentation for bids is complete and accurate, and that all technical, commercial and contractual correspondence with clients and participating partners and consultants are efficiently addressed and closed out.
- Analyse the proposal schedule, monitor progress and highlight potential risks for on time delivery, and recommend corrective action for approval.
- Prepare reports such as summary schedules, proposal overviews, competitive overviews and cost/price summaries.
Project Management and Administration
- Support the management and effective use of all relevant operational systems for NIRAS Tanzania projects, including financial management, work-planning, security and duty of care, procurement and logistics, and human resource management.
- Provide support to internal and external events, such as meetings and workshops; initiatives defined in the project work plans; administrative and logistical tasks; and other activities as required.
- Assist Project Managers and Project Directors with project management tasks including finance, risk and quality management.
- Technical input. Undertakes advanced research, data collection and analysis, and consults with clients and stakeholders, under the direction of more senior NIRAS Tanzania staff.
- Project management and leadership. With the support of the Market Coordinator, manage all aspects of low-risk projects, including personnel, finance, technical content, outputs; manages own workload on multiple projects effectively, in order to deliver, or enable the team to deliver, inputs by agreed project deadlines.
- Business development. Contributes to or manages tender preparation when requested by the Market Coordinator, through research, analysis and provision of technical content based on own expertise. Contributes to or manages identification of suitable personnel, partners and production of project budgets. Understands NIRAS Tanzania markets and key clients. Supports company-related marketing activities.
- Non-technical input. Provides support to internal and external events, including meetings and workshops; initiatives defined in the business plan and long-term strategic plan; administrative tasks; and other activities as required.
- People management. Manages teams of external consultants; guides and supports analysts in teams.
- Building professional expertise. Develops area(s) of interest and expertise in depth and/or breadth. Through work assignments and own research, builds own knowledge within identified areas of interest/expertise.
- Relationship management. Expands personal business networks out with NIRAS Tanzania, around identified areas of interest/expertise. Identifies and wins assignments by utilising personal business networks.
Qualifications and Skills
- A Bachelor’s degree in related technical discipline relevant to NIRAS Tanzania Group’s thematic areas is strongly preferred. A Masters will be an added advantage.
- At least Five (5) years’ relevant working experience in successful bid development, in a similar role, preferably in a consulting firm.
- Successful candidate should have advanced research, data collection and analysis skills.
- Proposal writing experience for major donors including WB (World Bank), EU (European Union), USAID, DANIDA, SIDA, GIZ, KfW, FCDO, etc.
- Advanced research, data collection and analysis skills.
- Experience in management of projects in different sectors and delivery of consulting assignments.
- Excellent technical skills in writing, editing, analysing and formatting bid documents essential.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal with good report writing skills. Ability to communicate with stakeholders from a range of professional backgrounds and fluent in written and spoken English.
- Outgoing personality and good interpersonal skills that enable building of relationships and networks with governments, development partners, local partners and experts.
- Demonstrable ability to proactively seek out new business opportunities.
- Ability to work well individually with minimum supervision and within a team to deliver results within budget and set deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills capable of hands-on problem-solving, with ability to generate ideas and solutions.
- Open to traveling within and outside Tanzania.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should submit their applications which include a detailed CV, cover letter and contacts of 3 references via email to AFRICA_RECRUITMENT@NIRAS.COM; by 20th February 2023. Please indicate “BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT AND PROJECT MANAGER, Tanzania” on your email subject line. Hardcopies will not be accepted.