BOARD MEMBERSHIP POSITION
DCB is a fully-fledged retail and commercial bank in Tanzania, offering banking services to Individuals, Small to Medium sized Businesses, as well as large corporate clients. The bank has a network of branches, Wakala Agents and ATMs serving over 3 million customers across the country. The bank was listed in the Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange in 2008.
DCB is looking for a dynamic and visionary leader to join the Board as a Non-Executive Director.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The specific responsibilities of the Non-Executive Director includes:
- Providing effective leadership in collaboration with the management team;
- Facilitating setting up of appropriate corporate governance structures for the management of the bank’s operations;
- Reviewing and approve the bank’s strategy, organizational plans, annual budget, significant expenditure proposed by the management team;
- Ensuring that key strategic risks of the bank are identified and managed; and that effective implementation of internal controls to mitigate operational risks are in place;
- Monitoring corporate performance against the strategic and tactical plans, including overseeing the operating results on a regular basis to evaluate whether the bank is properly managed;
- Reviewing and approve material transactions not in the ordinary course of activities at the bank;
- Reporting annually to the shareholders as required by DCB’s Memorandum and Article of Association; and regularly seek shareholders’ decisions on matters requiring their approval at the general meetings;
- Selecting, monitoring, evaluating performance and compensating the Managing Director, Internal Auditor and other job at the executive management level;
- Ensuring ethical behavior and compliance with laws and regulations, auditing and accounting principles, and the company’s own governing documents;
- Assessing its own effectiveness in fulfilling these and other Board responsibilities; and
- Perform such other functions as are prescribed in acts regulating the bank’s functions, that is but not limited to Bank of Tanzania and Capital Markets and Securities Authority.
- Experience in internal or external audit at a senior management level in banking or financial institution for at least five (5) years;
- A post graduate qualification in finance, business development, financial management, economics, actuarial science, marketing, law, ICT, human resources, or related field. Experience in the banking sector will bean added advantage;
- At least 10 years’ experience as a director of a medium to large size business and proven track record of effectively transforming an organisation;
- More than 3 years’ experience as a board member and of a board committee. Board experience with a listed company would be an added advantage;
- Have thorough understanding of financial management, regulatory compliance, board management, demonstrable commercial and investment acumen;
- Be a highly networked individual with ability to build and maintain relationships beneficial to the organization;
- Should not be a current member of management or board of a financial institution, or any institution whose registration or license has been revoked or canceled or which has gone into liquidation;
- No criminal record;
- No history of bankruptcy;
- Clean credit record including that of related parties;
Must have the time to devote to DCB to attend meetings and be flexible to support activities geared to business growth.