University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM)
Deadline of this Job:
25 January 2023
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Centre for Climate Change Studies (CCCS) located at the University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM) is a multi-disciplinary and inter-disciplinary research Centre dealing with matters of climate change related issues. These matters range from training, innovative research and out-reach programmes. The Centre addresses these pertinent issues through collaborations with Local and International partners. Research in Climate Adaptation issues is among the key focus areas of CCCS activities.
The Accounts Officer will provide efficient and effective financial services for the Centre. The Accounts Officer reports to the Coordinator, Centre for Climate Change Studies on matters related to day-to-day operations.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• To manage CCCS finances and financial reporting including collection of receipts for Centre’s activities and travel funds;
• Preparing the Centre’s monthly bank reconciliation statements and proper books of accounts;
• To reconcile the Centre’s debtors and creditors and ledger transactions;
• Preparing financial statements;
• Preparing payment vouchers on day to day basis;
• To issue receipts for CCCS receivable and obtain acknowledgment for CCCS payments;
• To maintain register associated with accounts activities;
• To maintain fixed assets, register and ensure that it is up to date;
• To maintain Staff Imprest records and retirements;
• To prepare various payment schedule such as student allowance, cheques etc.;
• Maintain spreadsheet and ledgers and ensure that funds are spent in accordance with the CCCS budget;
• Participate in the annual planning meeting, and preparations and maintenance of annual program budgets;
• Design and generate financial reports for annual, monthly and ad-hoc reporting;
• Ensure financial processes and controls are in place and comply with the University financial regulations, policies and practices;
• To ensure the remittance of all statutory deductions as per the law;
• Process invoices, follow up on various fund requests, Contactors and Consultant payments in a timely manner; and
• Performing any other duties assigned to him/her by the Immediate Supervisor.
• Holder of a Degree in Accountancy, Finance, Commerce/ Business Administration majoring in Accountancy or Finance or any or any relevant field from any recognized Institution;
• Working experience of at least four years in related field;
• First Degree with minimum GPA 3.0 in Accountancy from a recognized University will be an Asset;
• Experience working with various financial and accounting management programs;
• Possess good writing, editing, and verbal communication skills;
• Proficiency in MS Office, specifically MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel;
• Ability to solve problems creatively, undertakes detailed work, and work well as a member of a team;
• Professional work ethics including, accuracy, efficiency, thoroughness, the ability to handle multiple tasks, deadlines with limited supervision and work effectively under pressure;
• Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills; and
• Readiness to accept challenges and learn new things to cope with changing demands of a program.
Duration of the Assignment: One-year renewable contract depending on performance and availability of funds.
Attractive package will be offered to the right Candidate commensurate with his/ her qualifications and experience in accordance with Government circulars and directives.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 48
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Mode of Application:
Interested candidates should apply in confidence to the Undersigned enclosing:-
• Signed Application letter addressing the list of competencies;
• Curriculum Vitae (CV) with names and Addresses of three (3) Referees;
• Certified copies of relevant Certificates and Transcripts;
• Mode of communication, e.g. telephone, e-mail, fax etc.; and
• Recent two (2) Passport Size Photos
• Applicants currently employed in the Public Service should channel their application letters through their respective Employers;
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview;
• Incomplete applications will not be processed;
• A signed application letter should be written in either Swahili or English and addressed to Deputy Vice Chancellor – Planning, Finance and Administration, P. O. Box 35091, University of Dar es Salaam.
All applications must be sent via mailbox firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject titled
‘Application for Accounts Officer Position’. Submission of hardcopies will result in disqualification.
The deadline for submitting the application is 25 January 2023.